Friday, May 30, 2008

Psychedelic Giraffes

Speaking of giraffes, I'm thinking about designing a knitted one. First things first, I need to make a few more animals so I can get a better understanding of how best to put them together. I'm going to start keeping track of what I like and hate about different patterns. Also? I've been staring waaaaay too hard at pictures of giraffes lately. Seriously. There is at least one giraffe pattern out there already, but to me it didn't look realistic enough. It looked... well... like a stuffed giraffe.

The hardest part (not counting the spots... I'm thinking just a little fair isle right? Oh boy...) I think will be the legs. Making them sturdy enough to hold the thing but long enough to still look like giraffes legs. Why giraffes, you ask, when I'm clearly in love with penguins (and dogs... and cats...) Well... I have no real explanation, except that I want to do my baby's room in jungle themed stuff? You know, the baby I'm not pregnant with yet, lol.

Anyway, I have been knitting... some... well, it's been a really really really bad week and I've mostly wanted to sit somewhere quiet with my book. I read 2 books (at 300ish pages) in 2 days. Not really that impressive since I did read all of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in 10 hours (being a like, 700 page book I think?)... but... still pretty cool. Anyway, I've mostly been working on Eden. (Ya know, the test knit?) Oh, crap need to make sure it's ok to post pictures... oooh ok, not only is it ok but you can go buy the pattern now! Go! Buy! Here go to ravelry and buy it or if you aren't on ravelry (is anyone not? really?) then go to etsy and buy it.

The lacy part. (Seriously, I am the slowest knitter ever...) And the cabley part.

Don't mind the weird cables... it turns out if you read a slightly scary, very involved book while knitting lace and cables, you can mess up. Who knew? But since this isn't the final glove, I left it.

Anyway, the books I'm reading are Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series. I just started it. Never could get into it before. I don't know why. I'm soooo hooked. You should read it. They're interesting. Zombies and vampires. I'm not sure why but I really like this stuff. *gasp* omg. I think I'm weird. Who knew that??

1 comment:

Knit and fall back in it said...

I am intrigued by Eden, very pretty, I am going to have to go to Ravelry and get the pattern.