Monday, March 10, 2008

Fingers are bigger than nuggets

Okay, first, I need to answer a question. Yes, I've been making baby stuff a lot lately, almost obsessively. (And having it made FOR me.) No, I am not pregnant. I just want a baby so much that it makes sense to start making as much baby stuff as much as possible. Proof?

I've been making these from the leftover (what will be leftover) from this months sock. I already separated the yarn for the broadripple, so this is just extra. They don't match exactly, but I think that's ok. I want my kid to be weird. Only problem is, even the blue/green one looks a little girly, so here's hoping I have a girl. :) Look how stretchy they are.

Here's the pattern. That's right. The pattern. Muah ha ha! I beat you Angie!!!!!! Ahem.

Stretchy Rainbow Baby Sock

Yarn: Leftover sock yarn, any brand. I used Opal Feelings, in a Rainbow colorway.
Needles: Size 3 dpns, or size needed to get gauge.
Gauge: 7 spi in stockinette stitch- row gauge doesn't really matter, but I got 10 rows per inch.
Size: Newborn, or 3.5 inches around and 3.5 inches long.
See them on Ravelry.



Cuff: Cast on 24 stitches. Distribute on 3 dpns, 12, 6, and 6, and join to work in the round, being careful, of course, not to twist.

Work 10 rounds in k1p1 ribbing, or as many as you want to make the cuff as long as you want. Then work the next round as follows: K12, then finish the round in k1p1 rib. You're now ready for the heel.

Heel: Work a short row heel. There's a tutorial for doing a short row heel here, (that's actually a short row toe, but it's exactly the same. Really.) I would try to tell you how to do it, but that is MUCH better. Really. Work until there are 4 unwrapped stitches in the middle, then pick up your wraps a la the tutorial.

Foot: Rejoin to work in the round, and work the top of the foot in k1p1 rib, and the bottom in st st, until the foot measures 2.75 inches from the back of the heel to the bottom of the working needle.

Toe: Knit one round plain. (The start of the round is the bottom needle, the one that was the only one in st st.) Then work one decrease round as follows: *Needle one: k1, ssk, knit to last 3 stitches on needle, k2tog, k1. Needle 2: k1, ssk, k to end of needle. Needle three: to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1.* Work one round plain, and then work the decrease round (between the *) every round until you have 8 stitches left. Then graft the toe (scroll down to where it says "kitchener stitch.") Weave in your ends on the inside of your sock, and then go in search of a cute baby to try it out on. You know you want to.

Quote of the day: "
To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it." -GK Chesterton. This spoke to me today because my sister and I were talking about paparazzi... enough said.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Cute! Okay glad I wasn't out of the loop on that one. I can normally sense these things...you were making me feel all *off* Krystal! Cute pattern, I think I need to make me some, maybe for Chicken's doll and for BF who is trying now...I want the baby to have a vast assortment of handknit goodies from Auntie Heather

Diane said...

Those are so precious. Love the colors!

Heather said...

*knock knock knock* "heeelllloooooo!" Is anybody in there?

Jane Doe Jenn said...

Those are sooo cute! I think I will try and make a pair for my 2 adorable baby nephews. Thanks for leaving the pattern, and the link for help on the socks.

SimplyMe said...

I hope by now you are preggers or have a new one to hold.....these socks rock. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern.