Wednesday, February 6, 2008

You've taken up origami... with yourself

Hey guys, what's going on? Yesterday in the comments Diane said she couldn't wait to hear the fire story, so here goes. A few weeks ago I was feeling really sick, with a sore throat and stuff. I was on cold meds but decided I wanted some tea. I put the tea kettle on the stove, turned it on, and then turned around to get my cup ready for when the water was boiling. A few minutes later, I was thinking I smelled something funny, which I assumed was the burner (I am a klutz, and frequently spill... everything. Especially while cooking. So I ignored it. A minute later I was like "Ok that REALLY smells bad" so I turned around and sure enough... I turned on the front burner instead of the back burner. See, my stove has a diagram that shows you which burner each knob displays. In fact, I have a picture.

And there was a dishtowel on the front burner. And it was on fire. So I hurried up and grabbed it and tossed it into the sink and then, about a minute later... the smoke detectors went off. AFTER the fire was out and the smoke was starting to dissipate.

Since then I have labeled the burners so that I always know which one I'm turning on.

So, based on what I already thought and what you guys said in the comments, I decided to add a dark blue border. I started it last night, and worked on it while Emmy and I watched Mr. Woodcock. That movie is great, by the way. If you haven't seen it and you like comedy... definitely a must see. That being said...

There's what the border looks like so far. It took me an hour and a half to do HALF of the border. I did more after the movie, and now I have 3 sections (117 stitches) to do. I don't know about the shell border... it looks kinda funny in this yarn. I think I'm just going to go up a needle size and do... something. Ugh I don't know what to do, I don't know enough about crochet. What do you guys think?

And lastly... I've decided to do the thing bloggers everywhere are starting, and pay it forward. Basically, Donna, who is paying it forward to me, is going to send me something (sometime in the next year lol) and I have to pay it forward, making something hand knit for people. So I'm going to pay it forward to the first three people who leave me a comment and let me know that you want to pay it forward will get a hand knit from me... but you have to make three hand knit things for people too. :) Or crocheted, of course. I, like Donna, have a lot otn right now, so I can't guarantee you'll get it anytime soon, but sometime in the next year, that's for sure. :)

4 comments:

Ms. Kimba said...

I'll pay it forward!
I've been reading your blog for awhile now...You guys are braver then me....In the knitting department..But I am finally doing socks..whew!

Anonymous said...

I can pay it forward.. :) Baby blankie is coming along great! Your scavenger hunt swap is coming along great. I am taking my sweet time deciding on the spoilers choice.

Krystal said...

Ha ha well... after the swap is over, send me an email with your snail mail address then. :)

Turtle said...

i'll hold off on the PIF as i am in another right now already. But think they are wonderful!
I had to smile at your fire story. Our old stove had the same diagrams. I used to stick a wooden bowl on the stove as it was harder for the hawaiian bugs to get the fruit there...one day i turned the stove on and when i turned back had big flames coming around the bowl. Picked it up and threw it out the door with the rocks then doused it. I am such a frugal girl and wanted to save my Vermont bowl, i sanded down the bottom till i hit fresh wood. Never did get the burner ring marks out though! At least your house in intact!